The Onondaga County Water Authority met in regular session on January 16, 2013.
Members of the Authority present were R. Tomeny, F. Picardi, S. Miller, E. Gilligan, and J. Bianchini.
• Others present: M. Hooker, A. Geiss, T. Pickard, L. Khanzadian, G. Miller and C. Marvin
I. R. Tomeny called the meeting to order at 12:30 p.m.
A. Minutes of the regular Board meeting of December 14, 2012 were, on motion by E. Gilligan, seconded by F. Picardi, approved by all Members.
II. M. HOOKER REPORTED:
• M. Hooker reviewed the Executive Director’s report.
• OCWA new payment site testing is ongoing.
• OCWA milestone has been reached with 100,024 active accounts as a result of the Camillus lease. In addition, OCWA system now has nearly 2,000 miles of water main.
• Distributed and reviewed OCWA organizational chart effective January 2, 2013.
• OCWA representatives, M. Hooker, G. Miller and P. Sherlock attended a public information meeting in the Town of Granby regarding the Granby Water District #6.
• Reviewed two separate home water service line protection programs (being offered in Onondaga County) designed to provide homeowners with a service agreement to pay for water leaks on customer side of curb box. OCWA will continue to remain objective allowing water customers to independently select their own company. A suggestion was made that information be provided regarding the customer’s obligation to maintain water service on the customer side of the curb box.
• Reviewed the upcoming Consumer Confidence report and the possible option of electronic distribution, with a potential savings of up to $34,000.00
• Distributed three articles issued in 2012 by the NYS Comptroller regarding New York Infrastructure.
• Mentioned that the partnership with the Soil and Water Conservation Bureau is progressing favorably. Discussed future tree inventory of OCWA properties.
On motion by J. Bianchini, duly seconded by, Eileen Gilligan, with all Members approving, the Board adjourned to the Finance Committee at 1:15 p.m.
On motion by S. Miller, duly seconded by, Eileen Gilligan, with all Members approving, the Board returned to the regular Board meeting.
On motion by J. Bianchini, duly seconded by R. Tomeny, with all Members approving, the Board approved the recommendation of the Finance Committee that Janney Montgomery Scott, LLC be selected as underwriter for the 2013 Series A Bond Issue.
On motion by J. Bianchini, duly seconded by, R. Tomeny with all Members approving, the Board approved the Finance Committee recommendation for the 2013 Series A Bond resolution in the amount not to exceed $10,250,000, as recommended by the Finance Committee.
III. A. GEISS REPORTED:
• A. Geiss reviewed the Chief Engineer’s Report
• Otisco Lake level has been rising and is currently at -16.5’.
• Town of Camillus water system has been incorporated into the OCWA system successfully.
• Extended congratulations to Patrick Sherlock upon passing the PE exam.
• G. Miller reported on the following projects:
• Southern Branch pump station site work continues. Pumps are scheduled for delivery in April.
• Developing bid documents for the 2013 tank rehabilitation projects – Hastings Corporate Drive and East Hill tank.
• Reviewed the letter received from the NYS department of Health and the US Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) complimenting OCWA on providing optimally fluoridated water for all of 2011.
• Town of Lenox Water District continues to work on obtaining funding for constructing Water District #12.
• Operations department is working on finding an elusive water leak in the North Syracuse/Mattydale area.
• The Metropolitan Water Board lent their off-road vehicle to OCWA which was used to access the Camillus tanks and remote areas of our transmission mains. The sharing of resources was greatly appreciated and worked well.
• Reviewed the bids received for granular activated carbon. Discussed the alternatives and recommended Alternatives 1 & 2 submitted by Carbon Activated Corporation for a total price of $452,800.
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by E. Gilligan, with all Members approving, the Board accepted the bid of $452,800.00 by Carbon Activated Corporation as recommended by staff.
IV. LEGAL REPORT
• T. Pickard tendered his letter of resignation effective March 31, 2013, thanking the Board for the privilege of working for the Onondaga County Water Authority for eight years.
• Board reviewed the Legal Counsel job description including qualifications for consideration of candidates for the legal counsel position.
• T. Pickard reviewed the Legal Report.
• Reviewed the Public Authorities Accountability Act requirements for the March, 2013 Board meeting.
• Distributed the OCWA Conflicts of Interest and Code of Ethics.
On motion by J. Bianchini, duly seconded by R. Tomeny, with all Members approving, the Board adjourned to the Governance Committee at 2:10 p.m.
On motion by E. Gilligan, duly seconded by F. Picardi, with all Members approving, the Board adjourned the Governance Committee at 2:20 p.m. and returned to the regular Board meeting.
On motion by F. Picardi, seconded by E. Gilligan, with all Members approving, the Board approved the Conflict of Interest and Code of Ethics policies as outlined and presented.
• A. Geiss disclosed to the OWA Board his participation on the Town of Van Buren Planning Board
• Requested a resolution to approve a Federal Aide Utility Work Agreement with Onondaga County
On motion by S. Miller, duly seconded by E. Gilligan, with all Members approving, the Board approved the Federal Aide Utility Work Agreement with Onondaga County.
V. HUMAN RESOURCES /INSURANCE/RISK MANAGEMENT REPORT
• L. Khanzadian reviewed the Human Resource and Insurance/Risk Management report.
• Reminded the Board of the March 14, 2013 OCWA employee perfect attendance luncheon.
• Requested Executive Session to review Medicare Supplemental health coverage for OCWA retirees.
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by S. Miller, with all Members approving, the Board adjourned to Executive Session at 2:25 p.m.
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by J. Bianchini, with all Members approving, the Board adjourned the Executive Session and returned to regular session at 2:45 p.m.
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by, J. Bianchini with all Members approving, the Board approved the recommendation from OCWA management to transition to Medicare Supplemental health coverage for all past and present OCWA retirees over the age of 65, effective July 1, 2013.
On motion by J. Bianchini, duly seconded by S. Miller, with all Members approving, the Board extended M. Hooker’s employment contract with the Onondaga County Water Authority to July 15, 2017.
There being no further business to come before Board, upon motion duly made and seconded, the meeting adjourned at 3:00 p.m.
The next Authority meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, February 27, 2013 at 12:30 p.m. at the Northern Concourse Office.
Laurie Khanzadian, Recording Secretary