The Onondaga County Water Authority met in regular session on December 14, 2012.
Members of the Authority present were R. Tomeny, F. Picardi, S. Miller, E. Gilligan, and J. Bianchini.
Others present: M. Hooker, A. Geiss, T. Pickard, L. Khanzadian, and C. Marvin
I. R. Tomeny called the meeting to order at 10:05 a.m.
A. Minutes of the regular Board meeting of November 14, 2012 were, on motion by J. Bianchini, seconded by E. Gilligan, approved by all Members.
B. Minutes of the Governance Committee meeting of November 14, 2012 were, on motion by F. Picardi, seconded by E. Gilligan, approved by all Members.
C. R. Tomeny discussed the request for a change in the February 13, 2013 Board meeting. Moved to February 27, 2013 at 12:30 p.m.
II. M. HOOKER REPORTED:
• M. Hooker introduced C. Marvin, OCWA Fiscal Officer, to review the proposed defeasance of the remaining balance due on the Authority’s 2005 Series A Bond issue. Current interest notes on tax exempt bonds issued by public authorities such as OCWA indicate that substantial savings may be achieved through the issuance of 2013 Bond Issue, the proceeds of which would be used to refund the 2005 Bonds..
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by J. Bianchini, with all Members approving, the Board approved the recommendation to refinance the 2005 Bond issue.
• M. Hooker reviewed the Executive Director’s report.
• OCWA test payment site is up and running.
• Billing system replacement project is currently ahead of schedule, with the first phase of implementation having concluded the week of December 10, 2012.
• Meter reading and billing remains on schedule with some limited overtime work.
• OCWA account creation for Camillus customers is nearly completed with 16 OCWA employees working on data entry.
• Residential and commercial meter change outs will meet the established target for 2012.
• Town of Granby meeting Water District #6. Recent meeting with Town of Granby officials to discuss funding for installation of mains and hydrants in new water districts; discussed OCWA contributing inspection services with an approximate budgetary savings of $150,000.00 to assist in funding the project.
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by J. Bianchini, with all Members approving, the Board approved the management recommendation of providing inspection services to the Town of Granby with an approximate in-kind participation of $150,000.00.
III. A. GEISS REPORTED:
• A. Geiss reviewed the Chief Engineer’s Report
• Otisco Lake level is beginning to rise.
• Discussion of low bidder for tree services and the failure to meet OCWA’s insurance requirements. Despite requests for appropriate insurance certificate, Treelanders Services has failed to comply with the bid requirements. Recommend moving to the next lowest responsible bidder, Midstate Lawn and Tree Services.
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by E. Gilligan, with all Members approving, the Board, due to non-compliance with insurance requirements annulled the Notice of Award to Treelanders Tree Services and approved the recommendation of OCWA management to award the bid to the lowest responsible bidder, Midstate Lawn and Tree Services.
• Continuing with facilities and site inspection of the Town of Camillus in preparation for operating the water system beginning January 2, 2013.
• Transformer has been removed from the Northern Concourse location.
• Work on the two Southern Branch pump station has begun.
• East Syracuse system has been connected to a new main supply and is running smoothly without the use of the system’s pump station.
• Reviewed SCADA summary of proposals distributed to OCWA Board. Management recommended the selection of Ritec/Schneider, with an adjusted proposed fee of $79,265.00.
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by E. Gilligan, with all Members approving, the Board approved the recommendation of OCWA management and the selection of Ritec/Schneider.
• Asbestos variance for water main work has been renewed.
• OCWA management attended a meeting with Oneida County officials to discuss the potential of providing water to the Vernon, Verona, Sherrill area.
• OCWA is in compliance with health department standards on the level of DBP’s in Sylvan Beach.
IV. LEGAL REPORT
• T. Pickard reviewed the Legal Report.
• Reviewed the Camillus Consolidated Water District lease agreement that has been approved by the Town of Camillus. Discussed the right of either party to cancel the agreement with six months notice and reimbursement for improvements. Also reviewed requirement that OCWA undertake certain improvements to the system over the next five years.
On motion by F. Picardi, seconded by S. Miller, with all Members approving, the Board approved Lease Agreement for the Town of Camillus Consolidated Water District.
• Reviewed the Standardization and Sole Source Procurement resolutions designated on the Board meeting agenda.
L Bristol Babcock SCADA equipment
Microwave Data Systems Micro data radios
Neptune Meter readers and software
Neptune Corporation Water meters
Sensus Corporation Water meters
Ross Valves Control valves, pressure reducing valves
Dell Corporation Computers
Pratt Butterfly Valve & Duracyl cylinder actuator
John Deere and Caterpillar Backhoes
• Sole Source Procurement
SCADATEK, Inc. SCADA design, program and implementation services
Genapole, Inc. Information Technology Services Technical Support
EPM Power & Water Solution Bristol Babcock SCADA equipment and services
Fred’s Locksmith Locksmith services
Henry Pratt Company Pratt Butterfly Valve & Duracyl cylinder actuator
Carus Water Technologies Water treatment chemicals including Calciquest
Kemira Water Solutions Water treatment chemicals including SternPac
Microwave Data Systems Micro data radios
Ross valves Ross Valves Control valves, pressure reducing valves
On motion by J. Bianchini, duly seconded by F. Picardi, with all Members approving, the Board approved the designated standardization and sole source procurement for 2013.
• Reviewed the litigation – Duncan v. OCWA regarding the sale of land and encroachment on OCWA property. Currently working on a settlement.
V. HUMAN RESOURCES /INSURANCE/RISK MANAGEMENT REPORT
• L. Khanzadian reviewed the Human Resource and Insurance/Risk Management report.
• Reviewed the renewal of the NYS retirement – Standard Workday Resolution for T. Pickard, M. Hooker, and R. Tomeny.
On motion by S. Miller, duly seconded by E. Gilligan, with all Members approving, the Board approved the Standard Workday and Reporting Resolution as submitted.
• Provided an update on the transition of Camillus employees to OCWA.
VI. NEW BUSINESS:
• One Right(s) of Way was presented for consideration.
On motion by S. Miller, duly seconded by, E. Gilligan with all Members approving, the Board authorized the following right(s) of way:
9003644 Tully’s 6” FS to Copper Top, US Route 11, TCIC
• Two Contractor Main Extension Contract(s) were presented for consideration.
On motion by S. Miller, duly seconded by F. Picardi, with all Members approving, the Board authorized M. Hooker to execute the following Main Extension Contract(s):
9003633 Rock Tenn – Solvay, LLC 16” Relocation, Rock Tenn Steam Pipe Bridge
9003644 COR Construction Mgmt. Co. 6” Fire Service, Coppertop, US Rt. 11
On motion by J. Bianchini, duly seconded by F. Picardi, with all Members approving, the Board adjourned the regular Board meeting at 12:10 p.m. and convened an Executive Session.
Executive Session adjourned and returned to regular Board session at 12:54pm
On motion by F. Picardi, duly seconded by S. Miller, with all Members approving, the Board authorized the 2013 wage adjustments for non-bargaining unit and contract personnel.
There being no further business to come before Board, upon motion duly made and seconded, the meeting adjourned at 1:00 p.m.
The next Authority meeting is scheduled for Wednesday, January 16, 2013 at 12:30 p.m. at the Northern Concourse Office.
Respectfully Submitted, Laurie Khanzadian, Recording Secretary