The Low Income Household Water Assistance Program (LIHWAP) can help.
On October 1, 2022, a new program year began and households may be eligible for additional assistance even if they have already received a LIHWAP benefit in the past.
LIHWAP is a drinking water and wastewater emergency assistance program funded through new federal
resources. Benefits are based on the amount of unpaid water and wastewater bills owed by applicants. This
assistance is targeted at low income households and income guidelines will mirror that of the Home Energy
LIHWAP benefits are based on the actual amount of drinking water and/or wastewater arrears, up to a
maximum of $2,500 per drinking water or wastewater provider, or $5,000 if drinking water and wastewater
services are combined, per household. Benefits are paid directly to the household’s drinking water and/or
Eligibility and benefits are based on:
• household size,
• household includes a U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or qualified alien, and
• amount owed to drinking water and/or wastewater provider(s).
Primary applicants must provide:
• Proof of identity
• Proof of residence
• Documentation of earned and unearned income
• A drinking water, wastewater, or combined drinking water and wastewater bill listing their permanent
and primary residence
• A valid Social Security Number (SSN)
o SSNs of additional household members will be requested
For more information, visit https://otda.ny.gov/LIHWAP