As part of OCWA’s monthly series highlighting some of our dedicated employees and the important jobs they perform, this month we’re featuring Robert D. from our Engineering Department. Each month we’re asking a different employee a series of ten questions about his/her background, what he/she does at OCWA and some of the employee’s most interesting work experiences.
1. What is your current position at OCWA?
I work in the OCWA Engineering Department as an Engineering Technician I
2. What other jobs have you held, both OCWA and non-OCWA position?
I worked at C&S Engineers as an inspector, and prior to that at LeChase Construction Services as a Project Manager.
3. When did you join OCWA, and what brought you here?
I joined OCWA in 2019. I came here to be part of an organization which provides a critical service to our community.
4. What does a typical day at work look like for you?
I typically spend my days inspecting the work of our primary outside contractor DE Tarolli. I ensure that the company is properly installing watermains throughout our five-county service territory.
5. What is the most rewarding part of your job?
Helping to provide an essential service to the community
6. What has been your favorite project at OCWA?
I particularly enjoyed working on a watermain cleaning and lining project along Knowell Rd. & Richlee Dr. in the Town of Camillus. Being able to rehabilitate existing pipes vs. simply replacing them was rewarding.
7. Before working at OCWA, what was the most interesting/unusual job you’ve ever had?
Sealing driveways on weekends was physically challenging but also rewarding to see the end product.
8. What three words best describe you?
Dad, Brother, and Son.
9. What is your educational background?
I have an Associate’s degree in Applied Sciences.
10. Why did you select the career you are in?
Infrastructure is a truly interesting field to work in, and no two days are ever the same.