As part of OCWA’s monthly series highlighting some of our dedicated employees and the important jobs they perform, this month we’re featuring Anson B. from our Distribution Operations Department. Each month we’re asking a different employee a series of ten questions about his/her background, what he/she does at OCWA and some of the employee’s most interesting work experiences.
1. What is your current position at OCWA?
Assistant Water Distribution Manager
2. What other jobs have you held, both OCWA and non-OCWA positions?
At OCWA, I previously worked as an Engineering Technician I, Engineering Technician II and Water System Engineering Technician. Prior to working at OCWA, I was a Process Engineer at Fulton Companies. This multi-national company headquartered in Pulaski researches, engineers, manufactures and sells complex heat transfer equipment for a wide range of commercial and industrial applications.
3. When did you join OCWA, and what brought you here?
I began working at OCWA in 2008. I joined the Authority for three main reasons: job stability, better pay and the benefits of a state retirement
4. What does a typical day at work look like for you?
Analyzing our five-county water distribution system, searching for leaks, finding any deficiencies and optimizing the system to meet the demands of our customers
5. What is the most rewarding part of your job?
When you plan out a project, perform the appropriate tests and everything works accordingly
6. What has been your favorite project at OCWA?
Do I have to pick one? Overall, I enjoy working with everyone and engaging with all the departments.
7. Before working at OCWA, what was the most interesting/unusual job you’ve ever had?
I used to be a spa and fireplace salesman. One of the highlights was working at Chevy Court during the New York State Fair. I saw some interesting performances.
8. What three words best describe you?
Calm, respectful and loyal
9. What is your educational background?
Jefferson Community College and SUNYIT (New York State’s only public institute of technology)
10. Why did you select the career you are in?
Rewarding work, good pay, nice home life and no travel required