As part of OCWA’s monthly series highlighting some of our dedicated employees and the important jobs they perform, this month we’re featuring Mary Cate V. from our Accounting Department. Each month we’re asking a different employee a series of ten questions about his/her background, what he/she does at OCWA and some of the employee’s most interesting work experiences.
1. What is your current position at OCWA?
I am an Account Clerk 3.
2. What other jobs have you held, both OCWA and non-OCWA positions?
Besides working at OCWA, I am a business owner. I was also a bartender and I worked for Burger King when I was younger. That wasn’t fun.
3. When did you join OCWA, and what brought you here?
Summer help brought me here, I began working the summer of 1984 when I was a switch board operator.
4. What does a typical day at work look like for you?
Some of the tasks I perform daily are opening mail and distributing it to different departments. My main job is accounts payable so I need to go over paperwork to make sure its correct, I pay invoices, cut checks, etc. I balance the revenue account and anything else my supervisor asks of me.
5. What is the most rewarding part of your job?
I would say balancing the revenue account. It is not an easy task, so it is challenging and rewarding when you complete it.
6. What has been your favorite project at OCWA?
While I was working in the business office OCWA went through a company wide computer change. I was on the Conquest team so we had to change our business practices and train people which was a major task. We had to ensure all the data was correct in the new computer system. It required long hours and hard work because it was a really important project.
7. Before working at OCWA, what was the most interesting/unusual job you’ve ever had
I had a job detailing cars once in between bartending jobs. Funny it’s probably why I still keep my car pretty clean.
8. What three words best describe you?
I am focused, driven, and meticulous.
9. What is your educational background?
I completed 2 years of college.
10. Why did you select the career you are in?
Summer help brought me here, and I really enjoyed the company and the people, so I stayed. I have been here more than half my life which is baffling really!